So yesterday midday was the ARD meeting. I left and I cried. Not because I was upset or sad but because I was relieved it was over. The stress and worrying about it is gone for now. I made a video and was going to post that but decided against it. No one wants to see my crying anyways. Then I was going to come home and post but I needed to process.
So sorry for the long wait, I promise I am not trying to be dramatic or annoying by making you wait til today. I had to take the time to separate my feelings from those that were projected on me by others.
So rewind, a few weeks ago I heard “thru the grapevine” that the school was recommending that E NOT go into the PPCD classroom but instead come once a week for speech. (Once a child turns three they age out of ECI and transition into the school system. Sometimes going into the PPCD classroom.)
When I heard that I wasn’t really shocked. Ephraim showed off at his eval, I even told his therapists that I highly doubted him getting anything from them. I was curious though if it was “allowed”, he has Down Syndrome you don’t outgrow it so wouldn’t that automatically get him in?? The short answer is no. LOL
So while waiting for the ARD meeting to come I got the time to speak with alot of different people. Friends who work in the field, his therapists, etc etc. Some fell on the side of what the school was saying, some where in the middle and unsure, and some were against it and felt he needed to be in the PPCD room. All the while, B and I were just kind of undecided and not sure what route was the “right” way.
So anyways, I went to the meeting yesterday and his OT from ECI also came with me to hear what they had to say. I trust her opinion b/c she worked in the school district before and she knows my child.
E scored really well on the eval, he did not score low enough to gain the Intellectual Disabled label. That label would have gotten him in. The area he scored low was speech. So he does have the Speech Impairment label on his file.
They told me what they were thinking (no PPCD and just speech), I let them know I have worked super hard the last two and half years and did NOT want the ball dropped just b/c he is doing well now. Are the certain he does NOT need PPCD?? The actual teacher for that class was in the meeting as well and she told me that the kids that are currently in the class are below E’s abilities and most are non-verbal. Since E’s biggest concern is speech it’s not the best idea to stick him in a room with non-verbal kids. They were also worried about what behaviors he might learn.
For his speech time he will be with one other child who is verbal and would be a good peer model for him.
So I left feeling ok and that they weren’t BS’ing me. Am I worried that I made the wrong choice?? No, not right now. I can always call another meeting and we can discuss any concerns I have. I will be watching him and the speech teacher will be as well.
Now the question is….do I want to try and get him into HeadStart? While we don’t meet the qualifications financially, they do have space for kids with special needs. OR do I want to wait until next year and send him to MDO for two days a week like I am doing with Caleb now.
So yeah, that’s it. While I know everyone may not agree with what we decided, B and I are on the same page. Next year at our annual meeting I will discuss the option of having him in pre-k at the school with PPCD support.